Our therapeutic environment ensures children aren’t exposed to negative or violent interactions and can express genuine responses to both parents without “guilt.” Often, when there is a history of conflict, children don’t want to show happiness at seeing their parent for fear they will “hurt” the other parent.
It is during this temporary, transitional, and traumatic time that families are most in need of the services provided by Guardian House.
Parents who have used our services report a decrease in amount of conflict observed by their children and a decrease in their former partner’s verbal aggression.
Why Monitored Kids Exchanges?
Emotional or physical harm to the child increases in cases where parents behave or communicate inappropriately during the exchange of the child from one parent to another. Monitored exchanges may help solve the following problems:
- verbal and/or physical conflict between parents, or toward one parent,
- arriving late to exchanges,
- the custodial parent doesn’t bring the children for the exchange,
- the noncustodial parent doesn’t show up for exchanges,
- individuals other than the parents attend exchanges,
- parents consistently fail to bring medicines, or important belongings, such as car seats to exchanges, and/or
- parents arrive for the exchange under the influence of drugs or alcohol.